We're cutting over to the new version of the wiki. If you see this notice, you're on the old version, but should see the new one as soon as DNS updates for you.
|This utility page applies to multiple versions of DF.|
 Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tileset Compiler
Tileset Compiler (or TSC for short) is a utility for Dwarf Fortress created by Rick which attempts to ease the creation of graphical creature tilesets.
It is written in C# and requires the .NET 2.0 Runtime.
- Tileset images will be created properly aligned in width and height so that Dwarf Fortress will load them correctly - this means images that are not a multiple of 4 will function correctly (15x15 tilesets!).
- A checkboard pattern will be drawn so it is easier to distinguish tiles.
- Ensures that tiles do not overlap same positions, and will warn about such.
- Tiles will be centered horizontally if too small width wise, and aligned to the bottom if too small height wise.
TSC is currently a console-based utility. Future versions may sport a proper UI.
To use TSC, all you have to do is specify a graphics_name.txt file for it to parse and build a tileset from.
It will attempt to open images based on definitions found in the file - it will attempt to first open a PNG, then a TGA, then a BMP.
All paths loaded and saved to are relative to the input file name given to TSC.
Warning: Could not find tiles\dwarves\default\dwarf_default_default
Warning: Could not find tiles\dwarves\default\dwarf_default_miner
TSC loads graphics_example.txt, sees two entries, [DEFAULT:DWARVES:0:0:ADD_COLOR] and [MINER:DWARVES:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT].
It derives the following file names from these entries:
This is from the following format:
tiles\tile page name\state name\tile page name_state name_profession name
When loading an image:
- It checks for it in three different formats: PNG, TGA, and BMP.
- If it finds one it will load and use it.
- If it does not find one, and it is a CHILD profession, it will check for a DEFAULT image and will load and use it.
- If it still does not, then it will check for tiles\missing.png and load and use it.
- If that still does not, it will not draw any tile at all.
 Download Tileset Compiler
Requires .NET 2.0 Runtime!
The current version of TSC is 220.127.116.11.
Mirrors to download Tweak 18.104.22.168 from
- From Dwarf Fortress File Deposit - Please try this one first, if it doesn't work use another one.